Monday, October 17, 2011

If you really knew me...

Social media has a way of making us feel popular. We feel a twinge of pride from having hundreds of Facebook friends, thousands of Twitter followers, and blog readers from all over the world.

But there is a line between tangible and virtual.

Not too long ago, a well-respected and heavily-followed social media expert committed suicide. For many of us, we immediately thought, "How could that be? He had so many followers!".

But a social media follower is not the same as a real-life friend. It is easy to feel alone, even in the thick of a crowd.

If you really knew me, you would know that...

I write the truth.
I write from my heart.
I am what I write...
But I am probably too embarrassed to talk about it in person.




My first blog conference is coming up on Saturday.

I am a nervous wreck.

What do I wear?
Are comfy shoes okay?
Should I try to be trendy?
Or should I just be me?
What if "me" isn't good enough?

What if I hate it?
Can I leave early and go home to my family?

If you really know me, you will understand that this step is a big one. Blog readers know my heart. They have read my dreams. They are aware of my fears.

And I am about to come out from behind the computer screen... as ME.


I still have no idea what I'm going to wear.


- - -
Inspired by one of Mama Kat's prompts from her prompt-generator HERE.
"If you really knew me, you would know that..."

5 comments:

Jamee @ A New Kind of Normal said...Best Blogger Tips

I am so right there with you! I'm freaking out the most about what to wear for the Saturday night event! But I am so super excited to meet you & the other ladies!

Not a Perfect Mom said...Best Blogger Tips

I had plans to go but one of my oldest bestest friends planned her wedding for that day...
and as upset as I am, I'm also kinda relieved...for exactly those reasons

Tiffany said...Best Blogger Tips

Oh wow, great post! I am so freaking out about what to wear; still have no idea!

And I'm with you on the whole "should I be trendy" thing. I keep seeing all these blog conference pics with ladies in scarves all tied up cute and I think I should do cute accessories, but that's not me...

I can't wait to meet you!

Shell said...Best Blogger Tips

Bloggy Bootcamp is a great one to start with b/c they really go out of their way to make everyone feel welcome.

Try not to be nervous. Says the girl who is nervous in any social situation. LOL

Just be you. That goes for clothes, too! I'll be in flip flops!

Anonymous said...Best Blogger Tips

Be YOU! You are talented, beautiful and all around awesome! I've known that about you forever... Enjoy your time at the conference! Oh and for shoes ... cute but comfy is the way to go!! :0) Love you Girlie!

~CHRISTINE~

Post a Comment

3MomsIn1.com partner:

Popular Posts