Sunday, October 23, 2011

A “just for fun” blogger attends a blog conference

I bravely purchased my ticket to Bloggy Bootcamp Atlanta many months ago. As the date crept closer and closer, my anxiety grew larger and larger. I worried about how to look, how to act, and whether or not I would be welcome in such a large, talented, and diverse group of blogging women.

Once the date was literally a night away, yet another worry set in.

What if none of this applies to me?

I have no illusions of grandeur when it comes to this blog. I know my life. I know the slightly compulsive, stress-prone gray matter between my ears. I know that any entrepreneurial adventure requires hard work, many hours, and a dedication I simply cannot handle at this period of my life.

So, what exactly does a “just for fun” blogger get out of Bloggy Bootcamp?

I got validation. Other human beings know who I am read what I write.

I got understanding. My blog is “just a hobby”. But it is a hobby worthy of my time and a piece of my heart.

I got encouragement. Real-life people care about my success, even if my definition of success has nothing to do with the weight of my wallet.

I got an identity. I narrowed in on it, anyway. Throughout many sessions, I found myself repeating to myself phrases like “I am a real person”, “so mothers can find someone who understands”, and “ what you read is what you get”. My blog is about me, from personal expression through creative writing to funny tales of raising a princess-obsessed little lady. I am not famous, nor overly talented, nor beautiful as a Hollywood starlet. But I share what is real, and I provide an extra voice of support to moms everywhere. I understand that we are all different. I know that no two kids are exactly alike. With other moms, I share the most important bond; we are raising the next generation. To the best of our ability.

And…
I got a hug from MamaKat!
One of many incredible people who made this "just for fun" blogger feel right at home.


Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket Atlanta_Fox
 Photobucket Photobucket

Photos of @mamakatslosinit, @InTheKitchenKP, one half of @ThirdBoob,
@StaceyNerdin, and my lovely city of Atlanta.

14 comments:

Carrie with Children said...Best Blogger Tips

It sounds like it was a fantastic conference! I'm so excited you got to attend. I really wished I had gone now! It's nice to feel validated, isn't it?

BalancingMama (Julie) said...Best Blogger Tips

@Carrie with Children
Absolutely! Maybe we'll make it to one together sometime. Would be thrilled to meet you too!

Liddy B and Me! said...Best Blogger Tips

This just for fun blogger is so jealous of your conference!

Liz said...Best Blogger Tips

I'm so glad you had such a great time!

Allison said...Best Blogger Tips

I loved it! It was so much fun to hang out and meet everybody. I hope I can attend one next year... Looking to Philly.

Stacey @ Tree, Root, and Twig said...Best Blogger Tips

I'm so glad you enjoyed it so much, and so glad you found things that *you* individually could take away from everything! We didn't get to spend too much time together, but I appreciated your sweet spirit - you've got the kind of energy that makes other people feel happy. :)

Oh, and, I think maybe I look a little TOO happy to see the bacon-wrapped scallop in that picture of me. But they were yummy! :)

Sili said...Best Blogger Tips

Yay! I love it! It was a great time and I agree with all that you say! Keep up the wonderful work! Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the conference.

Amber Page Writes said...Best Blogger Tips

Blogging conferences are awesome for just that reason. The validation, the camaraderie...it's just awesome. I'm glad you had fun!

SUPAHMAMA! said...Best Blogger Tips

Dang girl!!! You were 20 minutes away from me!!! Don't you just love Atlanta? AND HOW DID I MISS OUT ON THIS? ugh. Just... UGH.

BalancingMama (Julie) said...Best Blogger Tips

Thanks to all of y'all too!
(Had to throw in a y'all in hommage to my city of Atlanta and the sweet tea they served at the conference... I really never say ya'll. Promise.)

Seriously considering the switch to Wordpress so I can properly interact with you guys.

Mama Kat said...Best Blogger Tips

I'm so glad you came!! AND that you thought to grab a picture of us. :) I'm stealing that!

Galit Breen said...Best Blogger Tips

Sounds like this was perfect! I love the words that you chose to describe your experience, and what you got from the conference!

StacieinAtlanta said...Best Blogger Tips

I really thought that it was a great conference! I really enjoyed it and got a lot out of it.

Lindsay said...Best Blogger Tips

I am so bummed that I missed out on this awesome event, but I'm so glad you took so much away from it! There was an amazing group of speakers and I'm sure they catered to every type of blogger!

Post a Comment

3MomsIn1.com partner:

Popular Posts