Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Four, now three

I often said we were a family of three. But really, we were a family of four. Daddy, Mommy, little girl, and cat. Claude came into my life at the start of my final college semester. I was feeling down about boys, the future, and life in general. I went for a drive. Something made me turn into the PetSmart parking lot. And go in. There I saw a tiny, 9-week old gray cat. He snuggled in my arms and melted my heart.

I took him back to my apartment. Hoping my sister and other roommate wouldn't get upset with me. They fell in love with him too. He scampered and played and snuggled with his fuzzy worm toy. He had a red rhinestone collar - we named him Jean-Claude.

I considered him my child. Until I had a human child... then I unintentionally pushed Claude aside. He still got his basic needs met. I petted him and gave him attention as best I could. He probably enjoyed my switch to at-home work; at least we were together all day.

Tonight, Claude is leaving us.
He can no longer walk. His entire back half is immobile. He barely lifts his head to eat the tidbits I place under his nose. He's not living a life befitting his regal presence. He's 11 years old and has been through several medical issues since age three. It's his time.

I'll miss him. And despite a rocky start, my husband will miss him too. He's family.

Amelia will be devastated. I still don't know what I'm supposed to say to her.

9 comments:

Kate said...Best Blogger Tips

I'm so sorry! I'll be thinking about you guys.

HannahAchrissmile said...Best Blogger Tips

My family lost the cat that we had thru my childhood this year too, so you have my empathy. I am sorry!

Help! Mama Remote... said...Best Blogger Tips

So sorry to hear this. I hope you all can find comfort.

Avant Garde Parenting said...Best Blogger Tips

Oh, I'm so sorry. Losing a pet is just about the toughest thing. I'll be thinking about you guys. This is a post I like about talking to kids about the loss of a pet: http://www.familycorner.com/parenting/ages/death-of-pet.shtml

LJD said...Best Blogger Tips

Hi, found you through pitch. I'm sorry about Claude. Losing a pet is so very, very hard. Console yourself with the assurance that Claude led a very charmed life most animals never get. He had an owner who loved him for always, and never tossed him aside. He had good food, a clean home, and someone who would put his needs first when he became too ill to continue. He was a lucky cat, and I'm sure he basked in the security of your family for all his days. That's something to celebrate.

Liz said...Best Blogger Tips

I'm so, so sorry. I would be devastated as well.

Amber Page Writes said...Best Blogger Tips

My heart's breaking for you. It's so hard to lose a pet...sending you hugs.

Sara Plays House said...Best Blogger Tips

We lost a cat this year, too. Similar issues--her diabetes just got too bad. Anyway, we were very honest with Avery, and that seemed to work best. Good luck, I know how hard it is.

Anonymous said...Best Blogger Tips

So sorry Julie... so many memories of Claude. Big hugs to you and Amelia too.

~ Christine ~

Post a Comment

3MomsIn1.com partner:

Popular Posts