Thursday, September 16, 2010

Four generations

Inspiration. It comes in many forms. It can materialize over time or hit you over the head in a flash.

What inspires you?

Throughout my life, I've been inspired by family...

I've been inspired by my parents and their 41-year marriage.

I've been inspired by my sister, the PhD, who always strives to be the best. And always succeeds.

I've been inspired by my mother-in-law, who had to stand tall in the face of many challenges to raise three children nearly single-handedly. And then cared for her dear second husband who passed away from cancer last year.

And this summer, I've been inspired by my recently paralyzed sister-in-law, who is set to graduate therapy/rehab and return to Florida tomorrow. (She jokes - at least Florida is flat; her wheelchair will roll better that way!)

I want to introduce you to someone else this morning.
Another woman who is truly an inspiration - my grandma. Grandma is 98-years old. A new year's day baby - she'll turn 99 when you're next shouting "happy new year!".

She remembers everything. She can tell you stories from her childhood. (You could ask her about the time she was hit by a Model T car... that's a funny one.) She reads the newspaper every single day and never misses a beat in current events conversations. She made it through breast cancer and open-heart surgery. When her husband of 63 years passed away, she was heartbroken. But moved on with determination. Because "that's what he would want."

She's one tough cookie alright.

Amelia is lucky to have not only a Grandma (two, actually!), but a great-Grandma as well. When together with my mom, we are four generations. And although 10-1/2 hours of driving keep us apart most of the year, the inspiration reaches. And the love, of course, has no bounds.

Grandma does not like having her photo taken.... or shared. But I want you to meet my lifelong inspiration. World, meet Grandma. She's awesome.
Photobucket

This post was INSPIRED by Mama Kat's Writing Workshop. September is Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month and Electrolux is working to promote awareness and early detection. Mama Kat seized the opportunity to include inspiration as one of this week's prompts.

2 comments:

Jackie said...Best Blogger Tips

It's incredible that you still have your grandma around! I wish that still did and could share them with my children. I have pictures and memories to share and that alone is great.

theworkinghousewife said...Best Blogger Tips

Aw.. Your grandma sounds amazing. It's such a rare thing for people to actually know their great-grandparents these days it seems, so Amelia is really lucky! I loved your post.
Stopped in from Mama Kat's.

Post a Comment

3MomsIn1.com partner:

Popular Posts