Thursday, August 26, 2010

How NOT to use the potty

It's time for another Thursday post inspired by Mama Kat's Writing Prompt! This week I chose prompt number four:

Can it be saved? Think of something that is ruined when it’s totally wet: like a newspaper or a piece of cheese. Write a scene (truth or fiction) that involves you and a soaked item.

I've never been a cell phone junkie. I don't have the latest & greatest. I don't own a smartphone. But I always tried to get the next best thing - whatever was fun, maybe a little funky, just one step down from the smartphones.

I enjoyed my last phone for a mere seven months. After which I learned two very valuable lessons:

(1)
Never leave something important in reach of an inquisitive toddler

(2)
Always follow the inquisitive toddler if he/she heads towards the bathroom

One evening, Amelia snatched my cell phone off the end table. So stealthily, in fact, that I didn't even notice. What must have been mere seconds later, she scampered over to the bathroom. Where the toilet lid was conveniently open. Before I could get there, I heard the "plunk!".

My phone! My phone took a swim in the toilet.

I let it dry out overnight, and it actually worked OK. Only the on/off button wouldn't function. So I left it turned on, day and night, for a few weeks. Until one day. Until the day it couldn't get a signal. And I figured I'd turn it off to let it restart. Since the on/off button didn't work, I brilliantly decided to take the battery out to turn it off.

Herein lies the problem...

It turns out the ON/off button is a requirement to get the phone back ON! No matter what I did, I could not get that phone back on.

Photobucket

Turns out it didn't really survive that toilet swim after all.

Now I'm using the cheapest possible phone. Holding out until January when I'll switch to the provider my husband uses. He has an iPhone... maybe I can get one too?

I promise to keep it away from toilets.

9 comments:

Mandi Miller said...Best Blogger Tips

Oh I totally understand. My toddler hasn't dropped the phone in our toilet (yet) but she threw our cordless phone in the trash. We realized it AFTER we took the trash out and AFTER the garbage truck took it! Grrr...
Those toddlers!! :) If they weren't so cute!!
Visiting from MamaKat's!

Jackie said...Best Blogger Tips

Oh my... ok... when my girls were younger there weren't cell phones (oldest is 14, then 10, & 8). But now I have my little man (7 months)and I have a lovely smart phone (would love an iPhone even more!) and an iPod touch both of which he loves to chew on. I imagine that it's only a matter of time before he's snatching my stuff too!

Stopped by from Mama Kat's!

BalancingMama (Julie) said...Best Blogger Tips

Thanks for coming by, ladies! Yes, the little ones certainly keep us on our toes. And Jackie, I bet the older ones find ways to keep you guessing too!

Yes, they're lucky they are so cute.

theworkinghousewife said...Best Blogger Tips

My nieces have wreaked havoc with my cell phone, but thankfully have not gone anywehre near the toilet with it.. Enjoyed your post.

Alice said...Best Blogger Tips

Reminds me of the time my phone went a full cycle in the dishwasher. Clean but broken! For once I couldn't blame a child.

Dominique said...Best Blogger Tips

Talk about kids and phone.. my boys are always snatching my mobile as they want to play the games on it.. thinking twice about switching to the iphone as I'm not sure what they will be downloading on it if I do get one.

Elizabeth said...Best Blogger Tips

I am soooo scared of potty training....I am dreading it!

Love the I AM HUMAN box over in the corner. I loved all your responses on mah. Good luck on the blog contest!!

BalancingMama (Julie) said...Best Blogger Tips

Thanks for reading, everyone! I love to get comments from new people. Nice to "meet" you! :)

Erin said...Best Blogger Tips

OMG LOL!! RIP your phone. That's bad! But maybe it's a blessing in disguise?? Maybe an iphone for christmas?
My husband laughs that I keep my phone in my bra...there is a reason for that, I have a preschooler and a toddler, enough said! =)

Post a Comment

3MomsIn1.com partner:

Popular Posts