Thursday, July 29, 2010

Nighmares and anxiety

Sometimes I see Amelia as such a big girl. She is independent, vocal, and intelligent. But every now and then, something changes in our lives. And she becomes my baby girl again.

Out of the blue, we have been challenged with night fears. Amelia woke at 1:30 a.m. the other night yelling, "Mommy, Daddy, I'm scared!". Her little body was shaking all over and her eyes were dilated huge & black. It took quite a while to calm her. But even then, she would not stay in her room alone. I tried sleeping on her bedroom floor, but I was too uncomfortable to remain there. The floor let out a small squeak upon my attempt to sneak out, and Amelia woke again, screaming for me not to leave her.

That night she slept in a pack-n-play in our room. She fell asleep right away and we all got some rest until morning.

Yesterday, she cried for a few minutes when I left her for naptime. But her exhaustion took over quickly and she was able to get a luxurious 2-hour nap. Night was a different story - the panic set in again. She cries like we've never heard her cry before. She clings to us like her life depends on a physical connection between us. Steve sat in the chair in her room until she fell asleep. Luckily, he was much more successful upon sneaking out than I had been previously.

Last night she stayed in her room. She cried out again at 1:45 a.m. "Mommy, Daddy, help me!". Once again, Steve went in to calm her (he is WAY better at getting her calmed down than I am. I tend to freak out with her... not ideal.), and managed to get back to bed in about 30 minutes.

This morning, Amelia was proud of herself for making it through the night in her room. Wish us luck for tonight! It breaks my heart that she has fears. Her world is supposed to be comfortable. And fun. And full of toys. Scary things do not belong!

2 comments:

Nina @ Momma Go Round said...Best Blogger Tips

We are having a similiar issue, though LJ can't verbalize what is going on. He is just waking up with the most blood curdling scream. It's so scary since that's so not like him, and all he wants to do is be held. He's ended up in our bed a few times and that's worked, but hopefully this ends soon!

BalancingMama (Julie) said...Best Blogger Tips

Glad to know we're not the only ones, but sorry you're having to deal with this too. Daddy is up there with her now. I'm too nervous to go up there. I just want her to go to sleep happy again! Fingers crossed.

Post a Comment

3MomsIn1.com partner:

Popular Posts