Sunday, May 29, 2011

More fun-in-the-heat hoopla

Welcome to part 2 of my Summer Fun series!

On Friday, I introduced a new book, 100+ Free and Cheap Things To Do In Atlanta With Kids (you can buy a copy HERE).

Today, I'm excited to present a guest post from Amanda, the writer behind Confessions of a Wannabe Supermom. She shares some exciting summer ideas for bigger kids. I look forward to trying these soon!

- - - - -

Summer is just around the corner, and for a lot of moms, that means one thing – panic! If you’re wondering how to entertain your kids without breaking the bank, here are a few fun and inexpensive ideas:

1. Geocaching
This is a great hobby for the entire family, and one that is very addicting! Geocaching is a world-wide treasure hunt game played with nothing more than a GPS. Geocachers hide a “cache,” which is usually a small container with trinkets and a logbook inside, then register the cache on the official website. Using the GPS coordinates and the clues provided on the website, you find the cache and leave your name in the logbook. You can also take a prize from the cache, and leave one for someone else to take. Caches range from easy to very difficult and can hidden anywhere from a business to a hiking trail. To get started, just set up a free account at Geocaching (http://www.geocaching.com/), find a cache near you, and grab your GPS and your adventure-seeking family.

2. Summer movie specials
Many movie theaters have free or cheap summer movie matinees. Our local movie theater offers several weeks of movies each summer for $2.50 per person, or season tickets to all eight movies for $13. They are not new releases, but there are several my kids haven’t seen yet, including Megamind, How to Train Your Dragon, and Despicable Me.

3. Lapbooks
Lapbooking is familiar to many homeschoolers, but it can be a fun activity for all kids. A lapbook is an interactive book made with a file folder and several “mini-books.” Lapbooks can be made on many different topics, from art to a favorite book to dinosaurs. This summer, my boys and I are going to make one about detectives. A great place to start is Homeschool Share (http://www.homeschoolshare.com/Lapbooks_at_HSS.php) which has a huge list of free lapbook plans. Pick your favorite, print it off, and get started!

4. Nature journal
Most kids do not spend enough time outside – mine included. A nature journal is a great way to get them more interested in being outdoors. Find a notebook or a sketch pad, a pencil, and a camera and head outside. Take pictures and write notes about what you see. If your child is artistic, let them draw of what they see. Later, you can research the bugs, birds, flowers and other things you find in your backyard or local park.

5. Summer Reading Club
My kids love the Summer Reading Club at our local library! We’ve seen magic shows, animals from local conservation parks, and (gross but true) dissected owl poop to see what they had eaten. At the end of summer, the library hosts a pizza party and gives free books to all the kids.


---From the author:---
My name is Amanda. I'm a pastor’s wife, working mom to two boys, and a college student in the dental hygiene program. My life is crazy busy, but I love it! When I’m not busy playing Supermom, I love cooking, crime shows, coffee, blogging, working out, and a rainy day with a good book. I blog at Confessions of a Wannabe Supermom about my crazy life. Along the way, I love sharing recipes I love, great finds, and the everyday craziness of life. You can also find me on Twitter @amandablogs.


Thank you, Amanda!
Everyone, give her some comment love so she'll visit here again one day!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

3MomsIn1.com partner:

Popular Posts